5 Easy Ways of Getting an EIN Outside the USA

We are often asked about getting an EIN outside the USA by our clients. An EIN is an abbreviation for the Employer Identification Number that is assigned to a business entity. It is also called the Federal Tax Identification Number (FEIN). With the help of your EIN, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can easily identify your entity. Even though usage of this number may vary, it is commonly used for tax reporting purposes. You may consider it as your Social Security Number (SSN) for your business. Just as an SSN is important for those living in the US, the EIN is also necessary for businesses conducted in the USA.

Getting an EIN: who needs it? #

All US businesses are required to have an Employer Identification Number. A business needs an EIN in order to hire employees, opening a bank account, complying with taxes. Self-employed individuals are generally required to have an EIN. For instance, primary contractors will use this number to report all business income paid to the subcontractor.

Once you get your EIN, it will be unique to your business only. EINs never expire and the IRS assigns these tax id numbers to non-US citizens who are not eligible to hold an SSN.

 The Ways of Getting an EIN Outside the USA #

If you are wondering how to obtain an EIN as a non-US resident, then you are in the right place. Applying an EIN is actually so simple. Filling out the SS-4 Form is the key point here. Form SS-4 is required while getting an EIN. When you visit the IRS’s website, you will see that applying an EIN is being made online. However, mostly, you will need to spend a lot of time on figuring out the requirements. Dealing with paperwork can be quite time-consuming and challenging.

Here is what you need to apply for an EIN: #

  • You may apply for an EIN online if your principal business is located in the United States or U.S. Territories.
  • You can fax the completed Form SS-4 application to the appropriate fax number. (You need to choose where to file your taxes.)
  • You can mail your Form SS-4 application to the IRS. (You need to choose where to mail your taxes)
  • You can apply by calling 267-941-1099 (not a toll-free number) 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday.
  • You can consult us in order to represent your business as a third-party designee. We will prepare your documents and send them to the IRS. Finally, we will receive your EIN on your behalf.

Differences between an EIN and FEIN #

It is completely normal that you may be confused about these two terms if you are getting into the business world for the first time. As the term Employer Identification Number (EIN) and Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) can be easily exchanged with each other, you do not need to worry about their functions. These two business terms are exactly the same. Both EIN and FEIN are the same nine-digit numbers that are provided to you by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). To put it simply, EIN and FEIN abbreviations are what you see most often in the business world.

Getting an EIN for Sole Proprietorships #

If you are about to change your business structure, you must apply for a new EIN. Sole proprietors who are planning to incorporate their business required to apply for a new EIN.

To sum up, we highly recommend you get professional help in order to receive your EIN on time and guaranteed. You can always consult us without any hesitation by sending an e-mail to [email protected]